After last week’s shooting at a movie theater in Aurora, Colo., the city of Houston has released a how-to video on surviving a shooter event.
The video was created with funds from the Homeland Security Department.
Entitled “Run, Hide, Fight,” the video depicts a fictional shooting incident at an office building.
“It may feel like just another day at the office, but occasionally life feels more like an action movie than reality,” says a narrator.
The City of Houston’s website offers these tips:
- Run if a safe path is available. Always try and escape or evacuate even if others insist on staying.
- Encourage others to leave with you but don’t let the indecision of others slow down your own effort to escape.
- Once you are out of the line of fire, try to prevent others from walking into the danger zone and call 9-1-1.
- If you can’t get out safely, find a place to hide.
- When hiding, turn out lights, remember to lock doors and silence your ringer and vibration mode on your cell phone.
- As a last resort, working together or alone, act with aggression, use improvised weapons and fight.
Houston’s Public Safety Office said it had started working on the video before the theater shooting, according to an ABC station in Houston.